hyperbole and hypocrisy (was Re: [governance] Thank you to Parminder)

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 09:54:15 EST 2008

McAnthony? mmmmmm ..... I always suspected the Scots were involved in
poor Julius's murder! must have fed him haggis before they voted him
out during the Idols of Marsh Tribal Council.
;-)

A great 2009 to all, full of life's great energy.

Rui

On 29/12/2008, Nyangkwe Agien Aaron <nyangkweagien at gmail.com> wrote:
> McTim
>
> You got it right!
> Just sounds like McAnthony in Shakespeare's Play Julius Ceasar.
>
> We overheard McAnthony saying in that play:
> "We have come to burry Julius Ceasar and not to praise him... The evil that
> men do live after them"
>  It is just such MaAnthonyism that I decifer in Willie's piece.
>
> Happy New year to all
>
> Aaron
>
> On 12/24/08, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Willie,
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Willie Currie <wcurrie at apc.org> wrote:
> > > I'd also like to thank Parminder for his commitment and hard work as IGC
> > > coordinator.
> > >
> > > Parminder has played an important role for the IGC during a difficult
> period
> > > of adjustment to a post-WSIS global policy space in internet governance,
> > > when a sustained attempt to deflect attention from the need for global
> > > public policy principles for managing critical internet resources
> >
> > There already ARE global public policy principles in place for this.....do
> > you not recall seeing my BUTOCS (posting) earlier this year??
> >
> > was
> > > underway as a backlash to the gains made in the WSIS. It is largely to
> > > Parminder's credit that the issue of 'enhanced cooperation' could be
> > > discussed in Hyderabad without the sky falling down.
> >
> > While Parminder should be acknowledged and thanked for his efforts
> > and enthusiasm brought to the role, I would hardly equate him to Atlas ;-)
> >
> > Indeed a little more
> > > attention to public policy principles at an earlier stage may have
> helped
> > > the IPv4/6 transition as the IGF open policy dialogue on the matter
> > > demonstrated.
> >
> > which principles would those have been?
> >
> > Like the banking system, I think we have been witnessing the
> > > limits of the claims for technical expertise in the absence of suitable
> > > policy and regulation in the public interest in this area.  And no one
> had
> > > an adequate answer to Jeanette's question as to who is in charge?
> >
> > The answer is that no ONE person or body is or should be in charge.
> > You all ought to know that.
> >
> > Parminder
> > > suffered unjustifable attack while coordinator of the IGC when he did
> raise
> > > questions of public policy. And I think the shambles around the IPv4/6
> > > transition vindicates his concerns for public policy frameworks in
> internet
> > > governance.
> >
> > The "shambles" as you put it is caused by network operators not
> > implementing IPv6.  How would a "public policy framework" increase IPv6
> uptake?
> >
> > The question I'd like answered from folk who think they could have
> > done a better
> [...]

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa