[governance] Themes for the coming IGFs

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Dec 11 08:05:58 EST 2008

Hi Natasha,

Natasha Primo wrote:

>> Not my impression. I found the debate rather unstructured and shifting
>> randomly between topics. One of the few substantial contributions came
>> from Casper Bowden who spoke against the popular dichotomy between
>> privacy and security.
>
> And again it points to idea that using broadcasters - though they do
> come free of charge - may not be the best approach to stimulate relevant
> and structured debate.

I fully agree. While professional broadcasters are good at keeping the
crowd entertained, the usually lack the sense for the political assues
at hand. Moreover, they don't want to achieve anything. The discussion
on security seemed to me a debate for the sake of debating. And the two
co-moderators were placed in a way that they could not interact with the
broadcaster and even less intervene in the debate. From my own
experience I would say that it is good to have two moderators if they
cooperate (instead of monopolising the show).
I also think we should try to do without journalists as moderators for
the next year and see how this works out.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org