[governance] Themes for the coming IGFs

Natasha Primo natasha at apc.org
Thu Dec 11 07:52:05 EST 2008

Hi,

On 11 Dec 2008, at 1:55 PM, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

>>> I was very surprised as the lack of civil society participation --
>>> particularly IGC and the bill of rights caucus-- in the open
>>> dialogue
>>> promoting cybersecurity and trust, it was the session for pushing
>>> rights.  Think there were perhaps 3 or 4 CS speakers during the
>>> whole afternoon <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/hyderabad_prog/Open%20Dialogue.html
>> I can speak only for myself. I was at a parallel workshop for the
>> first
>> half or so, and when I came to the plenary, I had the impression
>> that the
>> whole debate had been hijacked by the "think of the children"
>> faction.
>
> Not my impression. I found the debate rather unstructured and
> shifting randomly between topics. One of the few substantial
> contributions came from Casper Bowden who spoke against the popular
> dichotomy between privacy and security.

And again it points to idea that using broadcasters - though they do
come free of charge - may not be the best approach to stimulate
relevant and structured debate.

On Day 1 the co-moderators ended up facilitating the session because
the broadcaster/chief moderator was un(der)-prepared, and on Day 2 it
was unstructured and the co-moderators were stuck on a podium.  In a
3rd iteration of the format - no WBA broadcaster and both moderators
on the same level as the rest of the participants - Jeanette and Chris
Disbain pulled off a more structured and substantive dialogue  ... not
that the technical community didn't manage to contradict one another :-)

Natasha

\//\\//\/
Natasha Primo
National ICT Policy Advocacy Initiative
Association for Progressive Communications
South Africa
Tel: +27118372122
Fax: +27865099147
Skype/Yahoo: natashaprimo