[governance] European Parliament

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 5 23:19:26 EST 2008

Ian, Elisabeth and all,

  Our EU INEGroup members are largely in agreement with the
two groups to which you mention.  As such the modalities of
EU governments seems to have recently been superseded
in respect to the "Three Strikes" rule which it is clear that France
was the ultimate culprit in such.  Ergo, it appear that EU governments
much like my own, are not willing to recognize the will of the governed
in terms of IT governance, amongst a host of other areas of public
interest.  As such it also now appears that the EU as a political and
policy determining body, has a process problems that needs addressing.

Ian Peter wrote:

> (slightly humorous and partially factual)
>
> Just to confirm that this meeting took place as scheduled. The European
> Parliamentarians were represented by Bertrand de La Chapelle and I
> represented Civil Society. I explained as follows (apologies to Nitin Desai)
>
> essentially, this is a dialogue between two groups of people ... and
> we must face up to that reality. On the one hand, we have a group of
> people who feel that the present modalities of government of all things by
> sovereign states is working, will work, even in the future, who are afraid
> that any major change in the way in which these arrangements are set
> up would compromise governments in some form. And on the other
> hand, we have a lot of people who are dependent on the Internet for
> their activities, for the economic, social, political, whatever, who
> feel that they have to have a say in the public policy issues which
> affect how the Net runs in this manner. These are essentially the
> two groups who are in dialogue here.
>
> (Bertrand was delegated to act for European Parliamentarians in a last
> minute arrangement, and with no venue confirmed we agreed to postpone a
> meeting between us to a suitable social function)
>
> Ian Peter
> PO Box 429
> Bangalow NSW 2479
> Australia
> Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
> www.ianpeter.com

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04