[governance] European Parliament

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Dec 4 03:24:28 EST 2008

(slightly humorous and partially factual)

Just to confirm that this meeting took place as scheduled. The European
Parliamentarians were represented by Bertrand de La Chapelle and I
represented Civil Society. I explained as follows (apologies to Nitin Desai)

essentially, this is a dialogue between two groups of people ... and
we must face up to that reality. On the one hand, we have a group of
people who feel that the present modalities of government of all things by
sovereign states is working, will work, even in the future, who are afraid
that any major change in the way in which these arrangements are set
up would compromise governments in some form. And on the other
hand, we have a lot of people who are dependent on the Internet for
their activities, for the economic, social, political, whatever, who
feel that they have to have a say in the public policy issues which
affect how the Net runs in this manner. These are essentially the
two groups who are in dialogue here.

(Bertrand was delegated to act for European Parliamentarians in a last
minute arrangement, and with no venue confirmed we agreed to postpone a
meeting between us to a suitable social function)

Ian Peter
PO Box 429
Bangalow NSW 2479
Australia
Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
www.ianpeter.com

     governance at lists.cpsr.org