[governance] Nitin Desai's two groups

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Wed Dec 3 23:32:00 EST 2008

Hi Guru & Ian & Jeremy and everyone,

Hope we can have a good attendance at the 'Role & Mandate' workshop Saturday 9 am here in Hyderabad where I will moderate a wide open discussion on these issues.

My own view is that IGF's existence is itself a success in beginning to change the landscape, but yes it is imperfect and young and can evolve to do much more. Now is not the time to stay quiet while critics speak up - we can be constructuve critics ouselves eg the ITfC 'open letter.'

Also, I wouldn't put the 'blocs' down as being quite as solid as Nitin might have hinted or others are interpreting; meaning key private sector actors/drivers of the technical community seem to have more than a rooting interest in IGF's survival and success too.  And if they're on 'our' side that changes the balance of power, at least in so far as the IGF goes.

Lee