[governance] Free Web Plan Being Pushed by FCC Head

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Dec 3 15:48:54 EST 2008

At 10:54 03/12/2008, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>And PLEASE note that this is a CENSORED internet, which is precisely
>what some of us fear will be the price of government-provided
>"internet for all."

Dear Milton,
Please let us stop to confuse the US Data Network, which is a
public/critic national infrastructure, with the Internet. The way we
all and always resisted to this kind of risk is in out-smarting it. I
accept that you may prefer compromises for stability, but this is
IMHO more risky. BTW, as fas I know the fight for a free Internet is
not at the IGF or ICANN right now. It is at the IETF 66NAT mailing list.

What is the societal risk of censoring if censoring is technically
made impossible as 66NATs will make it. That is, if their RFC is not
censored (in technical issues, censoring results from
"standardisation pollution". It leads to a confusion, making
interoperability impossible except through the few left censorable
channels). What is the use to fight censoring legal/business
possibilities, if the network technology is ready built for every
stakeholder (starting with Google) to be able to censor/control others?

This is why I am more and more unatease with the current CS business
when it stays alone. I would like to see it helping the emergence of
a Network Aware People Society. Its is good to protest and talk, but
it is also necessary to think, work, develop, test, and deploy. We
quite have the technology and certainly the capacity to deploy a
Secure Civil Global Network (SCGN) as a CS answer to the GNI
marketing of HRs. If the Internet becomes censored in the USA we will
fight to free you guys, but IMHO every project which develops people
access is good?

jfc

.