[governance] Free Web Plan Being Pushed by FCC Head

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 2 15:30:59 EST 2008

Milton and all,

  Exactly right!  Similar to the "Patriot Act".  Says one thing, means
something else entirely.  I call it the old flim-flam myself...

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> And PLEASE note that this is a CENSORED internet, which is precisely
> what some of us fear will be the price of government-provided
> “internet for all.”
>

> Outgoing Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin is
> pushing for action in December on a plan to offer free,
> pornography-free
> wireless Internet service to all Americans, despite objections from
> the
> wireless industry and some consumer groups.
>
> The proposal to allow a no-smut, free wireless Internet service is
> part
> of a proposal to auction off a chunk of airwaves. The winning bidder
> would be required to set aside a quarter of the airwaves for a free
> Internet service. The winner could establish a paid service that would
>
> have a fast wireless Internet connection. The free service could be
> slower and would be required to filter out pornography and other
> material not suitable for children. The FCC's proposal mirrors a plan
> offered by M2Z Networks Inc., a start-up backed by Kleiner Perkins
> Caufield & Byers partner John Doerr.
>
> Consumer advocates have objected to the FCC's proposed pornography
> filter, while the wireless industry has objected to the entire free
> Internet plan. To address concerns about the filter, the FCC is
> proposing that adults could opt out and access all Internet sites.
>
> T-Mobile USA, in particular, has raised concerns. The Deutsche Telekom
>
> AG unit paid about $4 billion a few years ago for nearby airwaves and
> has complained that the free wireless Internet plan will likely result
>
> in interference for consumers of its new 3G wireless network. The FCC
> dismissed the company's interference concerns this fall, although
> T-Mobile disagreed with that finding.
>
> --
> Gurumurthy Kasinathan
> IT for Change
> www.ITforChange.net
> Bridging Development Realities and Technological Possibilities
> http://ITforChange.net
> http://India.IS-Watch.net
> http://IS-Watch.net
> *IT for Change is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with United
> Nations' Economic and Social Council*

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04