[governance] Do We Need An Internet Zoning Law?

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 29 22:48:13 EDT 2008

Robert and all,

  With all due respect to Mrs. Cheryl B. Preston I have great doubts
that such a concept will be widely excepted and would already be
in conflict with some US state laws.  Had this idea been floated
some 8 years ago by the ICANN staff as was recomended at that
time, and before many US state laws governing such web sites
existance, the idea might have had some traction and garnered
some serious consideration.  Not likely now.  Too little too late.

  I am afraid and disappointed now that dealing with adult content
or web sites whose theme is adult content, is in the hands of the
FCC, DOC/NTIA, and perhaps, the US supreme court.

  A better approach *Might* be to require by law, all adults that
are parents be mandated to install certain software that would
prevent their children from accessing any adult web sites or
content.  I would encourage US states to consider this, as well
as the USG involved agencies to regulate along these lines
accordingly.

Robert Guerra wrote:

> Thought i'd share the following article that I just came across. It
> comes under the issue of protection of minors from "harmful" content,
> a topic that will be quite present at this year's IGF.
>
> As the article covers issues related to rights, ICANN, and internet
> policy - well, thought it would be good to forward to the list and
> seek comments from this community. It is an issue not to be dismissed,
> as there are quite a number of workshops and/or panels at this year's
> IGF on the topic.
>
> regards
>
> Robert
> ---
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20080822/1902492075.shtml
>
> The proposal comes from a professor from Brigham Young University,
> Cheryl B. Preston, who's proposing the idea for an Internet Community
> Ports Act (ICPA), which would create special "zones" online where it
> would be okay for "adult" material to reside, and other zones that
> would be kid friendly
>
> [snipped]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com