[governance] co-coordinator election results

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Aug 20 03:32:13 EDT 2008

On the issue of the period of co-coordinatorship, Ian's and mine:

The last elections were held in November 2006 immediately after IGF's first
meeting in Athens. As per the charter the annual elections are to be held in
June of each month, or as close as possible to it. Each co-coordinator is
elected for 2 years. However, it was found desirable that both
co-coordinators do not change at the same time and that one of them is
replaced each year. To put this processes into motion the first set of two
co-coordinators were elected for different terms - one for a year, and the
other for two years. Vittorio was elected for a year and I for two years.

2007 elections were due in June, 2007, but that would have given Vittorio
only a few months. I proposed that Vittorio continues till IGF, Rio, in
November, 2007. I also proposed that the IGC co-coordinator election cycle
coincide with the annual IGFs as the IGF is a primary institution of
engagement by the IGC.

Accordingly, the elections should have been held soon after Rio. These got
postponed for a variety of reasons which I would not go into now.

Ian's term, if the present one to be considered the 2007 elections, would be
till June 2009. But I suggest that it be till December, 2009, i.e. the close
of IGF-4 in Cairo. And along with the 2009 election we get into a cycle of
co-coordinator elections immediately after the annual IGF meet.

As for my term, it ends immediately as Ian decides to hold elections and the
new co-coordinator takes up. These elections are due and can be conducted at
the earliest possible time. I personally am now keen to step down.

On another, but connected note, I suggest that we explore the possibility of
developing a funding proposal for an intern or someone to support the IGC
co-coordinators, plus a couple of travel grants for the co-coordinators to
attend important meetings. This will immensely enhance the capacity of the
co-coordinators, and the effectiveness of the caucus. This may not easy but
is worth giving a try with some likely funders.

The IGF has recognized the IGC's strong position in the IG civil society
area with a green light to three workshops sponsored by us plus one that we
co-sponsored. This is a monumental step forward. However, to meet the
consequent expectations and responsibilities well we need to pull ourselves
together as a more coherent working unit. Ian is an energetic person driven
by keen purposefulness. I am sure he will provide us strong leadership in
this regard. But we need to start hearing from the members more, and more
often, on these organizational issues.

Thanks

Parminder