[governance] Rights in IG research

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Aug 18 18:10:05 EDT 2008

Avri, thanks for pondering it.
Just to recall what my objection is, and it's important to be clear
about this:

* The problem with a so-called "right to development" is that a "right"
implies an actionable claim against a specific party, who is obligated
to provide or protect the right. Who do you make this claim against? If
my economy does not develop, who do I sue? What tangible party is fully
capable of delivering "development" on demand? The UN General Assembly,
which declared it? (hah!)

* One could meaningfully assert a negative right, a right not to have
other companies, individuals or nations interfere with their economic
activity in ways that violate or impair their development. But this is
an extension of other basic rights, such as property rights (i.e., theft
of resources) or rights to be free from violence (i.e, invasion, coups
d'etat, etc.). In such cases, it is very clear who the right is claimed
against and who it constrains or obligates.

So, please do not think that by denying the existence of a "right to
development" I am unconcerned about the need for economic and social
development in LDCs or elsewhere. I just don't think the concept makes
any sense or that its assertion accomplishes anything.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org