[governance] Rights in IG research

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 17 21:55:54 EDT 2008

Milton and all,

  My remarks and observations below Miltons...

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Avri, thanks for pondering it.
> Just to recall what my objection is, and it's important to be clear
> about this:
>
> * The problem with a so-called "right to development" is that a "right"
> implies an actionable claim against a specific party, who is obligated
> to provide or protect the right. Who do you make this claim against? If
> my economy does not develop, who do I sue? What tangible party is fully
> capable of delivering "development" on demand? The UN General Assembly,
> which declared it? (hah!)

  Very good point.  Certainly we could not count on ICANN either!
Double (hah!)

> * One could meaningfully assert a negative right, a right not to have
> other companies, individuals or nations interfere with their economic
> activity in ways that violate or impair their development. But this is
> an extension of other basic rights, such as property rights (i.e., theft
> of resources) or rights to be free from violence (i.e, invasion, coups
> d'etat, etc.). In such cases, it is very clear who the right is claimed
> against and who it constrains or obligates.

Exactly, and nicely stated!

> So, please do not think that by denying the existence of a "right to
> development" I am unconcerned about the need for economic and social
> development in LDCs or elsewhere. I just don't think the concept makes
> any sense or that its assertion accomplishes anything.

It's assertion accomplishes only a likelyhood of negitive informational
warfair, which we have been seeing more and more of over the
past 5-6 years...

> Milton Mueller
> Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
> XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
> ------------------------------
> Internet Governance Project:
> http://internetgovernance.org

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com