[governance] Re: USG on ICANN - no movement here

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Aug 10 09:40:19 EDT 2008

> Perhaps cultural norms differ, but around here, attacking straw man
> arguments that someone else didn't make isn't a tactic that you use if
> you could have made a real argument instead.

John

(With "around here" you mean 'in the US', right?)

So, you are attacking my culture now. Sorry to say this, but I think you are
losing all sense of basic decency.

You may have a case that I am personally doing something undesirable or even
obnoxious,  but what do you mean by "> Perhaps cultural norms differ, but
around here,....".

You are basically saying that this particular "obnoxious-ness" may be in my
culture.

If I go to some other part of multi-cultural India and say - 'cultural norms
differ, and I don't know how it is in your culture, but in my culture we do
things sensibly and honorably' I am likely to invite mob violence.

I request IGC members to take note to the above utterance of John Levine,
and give their views on it, before I mention how I characterize it, because
he seems to have friends in high places on this list and I need to guard my
words much more than the regular list posters do.

I did wait a whole day before I report this, hoping that someone else will.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org