[process] Re: [governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 7 00:33:09 EDT 2008

> On Aug 6, 2008, at 2:35 AM, Parminder wrote:
> > And someone who supports such unilateral control by one country, and
> > derides
> > those who seek change, both_of_which_John_clearly_did, (does he or
> > you deny
> > that) clearly professes neo-imperialist ideology (especially when
> > one is the
> > citizen/ resident of that controlling country).
>
> Here's where I think you missed it, Parminder. It's possible to
> support unilateral control by the U.S. as the best among several bad
> options, and not be an imperialist. An imperialist would want to
> retain U.S. control even in the face of better options. (That's not
> JL.) Let's focus on the better options.
>
>        -- Bret

Bret, I appreciate your effort at reconciliation. Thanks for that.

However I did not miss what you say I missed. In fact you missed that even
in the quote of me that you mention I did not say that anyone who" supports
unilateral control by the U.S. as the best among several bad > options" is a
(neo)imperialist. I wont ever say so, I know many people who hold such an
opinion and whose politics I respect, while disagreeing.

(BTW nothing at all in JL's email remotely suggests that he considers the
present arrangement as 'a bad option' at all, even at an absolute,
non-comparative level.)

I also added the second condition - one who also speaks with derision
('don't dream' etc)about people's efforts of exploring other options (see my
above quote and my earlier email for more details) which obviously means
(actually means more and worse than) that one simply doesn't engage with
seeking other options, which means that one is quite satisfied with present
arrangements. That seems to more-or-less fit your description above of what
would be an imperialist...

Better options are not after all available in the political space as one
would say find them on a survey form, that one can tick one rather than the
other. If one thinks there should be better options that is represented in
efforts towards working towards such option, or at least respecting those
who are so working, or at the very least, not speak with derision about all
such efforts..

I think my corresponding deduction that JL doesn't seek better options and
is happy with the present ones is logical. After all no one gets up and
publicly announces, I do not seek better options, and that I hold to
neo-imperialist ideology. One only does as much was done in John's email.
Rest is for others to do and speak. Which I did dutifully.

Not very pleasant I agree, but neither is to speak derisively of other
people's political beliefs and efforts, that they cherish a lot, and work
for hard.

Thanks

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org