[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Aug 6 02:21:37 EDT 2008

On 8/5/08 5:04 PM, "Parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> In political arenas one who clearly professes a political position (as John
> Levine unapologetically does to a neo-imperialist ideology - 'things aren't
> going to change, just accept and submit to the big bully') and those who
> profess it by default may really amount to the same. Unless, one is ready to
> explore or at least discuss reasonable options.

I agree with McTim that this name calling is inappropriate, particularly
coming from our coordinator, and that it is seriously distorts what was
actually said.  Post-JPA has been discussed here before and a number of
people have pointed out that there are powerful political forces in DC and
beyond that would make significant change difficult.  I don't think anyone
has said this because of neo-imperialist ideology, but rather because they
live in the reality-based community and agree, as Parminder says he has now
concluded, that 'working in a world that exists is a tactical necessity.'

I will repeat what I said in April:

> Might help shift the debate a little if for the next review NTIA were to
> hear a LOT more from proponents of change, including a fleshed out and
> plausible scenario as to how independence would work geopolitically, why
> there'd be no real risk of "takeover by foreign governments," how we could
> have rock solid guarantees of exactly the same levels of security,
> stability, and control in the last instance as now.   Something that would
> make ITAA, DOD, et al say, hmmm...I don't think this has been done yet
> either by ICANN or others, so expecting a leap of faith in the beltway seems
> ill-advised.  Those are reserved for other issues...

If enough people here believe this is a top priority, maybe the caucus could
try to do something productive for a change and develop a compelling
alternative and promote it in a manner that is politically salient.  Then
maybe Milton would have a better chance of winning his $50 bet with me as to
whether an Obama administration (inshallah) would do something in 9/09.

Bill

.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org