[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Yehuda Katz yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Sun Aug 3 10:34:26 EDT 2008

The United States Dept. of Commerce and ICANN are under contract for five
years,	encumbering ICANN’s authority to administrate the domain name system
to 2011, it is also subject to annual renewal.

(the contract itself - http://www.icann.org/general/iana-contract-14aug06.pdf )

--

I agree with John's assessment of the DoC.

The rest maybe up to You. How well the UN-WSIS and Organizations such as CPRS
present themselves will determine the influence on the DoC, and their ensuing
decree upon the expiration of that Contract.

IMO: 'Strengthening' the; CPRS, IGF, NGO's and non-Icann atLarge structures
builds better argument for International-Governance of the Internet.

In the past weeks I have asked the question:
What can be done to strengthen this Organization? [CPRS]

The DoC has given us a window of opportunity in 2009, 2010. and 2011 to show
them that a Internationalized-Body is appropriate to govern the Internet.

My dear fellow Countertarians, the Balls' in your court.

--

What can be done to strengthen this Organization?____________________________________________________________
     governance at lists.cpsr.org