[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 11:30:52 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Yehuda Katz <yehudakatz at mailinator.com> wrote:
> The United States Dept. of Commerce and ICANN are under contract for five
> years,  encumbering ICANN's authority to administrate the domain name system
> to 2011, it is also subject to annual renewal.
>
> (the contract itself - http://www.icann.org/general/iana-contract-14aug06.pdf )
>
> --
>
> I agree with John's assessment of the DoC.

I too agree with John, they ain't about to give it up, it's a fact we
have to live with IMO.

> The rest maybe up to You. How well the UN-WSIS and Organizations such as CPRS
> present themselves will determine the influence on the DoC, and their ensuing
> decree upon the expiration of that Contract.

Not under the current US Administration.

I'm not sure a different one will act much different, but I think
that's the only hope for change on this issue.

> IMO: 'Strengthening' the; CPRS, IGF, NGO's and non-Icann atLarge structures
> builds better argument for International-Governance of the Internet.
>
> In the past weeks I have asked the question:
> What can be done to strengthen this Organization? [CPRS]

and you've been told (repeatedly) that the IGC (this "organisation")
is mothing to do with CPSR.

--
Cheers,

McTim