[governance] CSTD and IGF review

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Aug 3 05:27:34 EDT 2008

In message <p0624080dc4b870146a3a@[192.168.1.193]>, at 17:00:41 on Fri,
1 Aug 2008, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> writes
>My guess, only a guess, is the 2009 IGF would be the forum where
>"formal consultation with Forum participants" takes place. IGF's cost a
>lot of money ($ million) to hold and finding facilities for a couple of
>thousand people can't happen overnight.

 From the purely practical point of view we have anecdotal evidence from
the Athens meeting and the move from New Delhi to Hyderabad that around
9 months is sufficient to organise an event. It's not that much bigger
than (say) an ICANN meeting, and as far as I can see ICANN is currently
still looking for a sponsor/venue for June 09, and only very recently
announced Mexico for March 09.

Therefore I agree that while the 4th IGF in 2009 might be a good place
to start discussing a successor, it would also be possible to postpone a
decision until after the 5th meeting.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org