[governance] Stepping down as IGC 08 Nomcom chair.

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Apr 30 12:48:54 EDT 2008

Le 30 avr. 08 à 18:23, Jeanette Hofmann a écrit :

> Hi,
> I probably shouldn't speak up on this issue since I am one of the
> candidates but what the heck...

..

> I still try to figure out what I find more messy, recalling a
> nomcom decision or sticking to a nomcom decision that may have been
> affected by unclear rules.

It's not about mess (we're used with that). It's about healthiness
(very important in bloody contexts, isn't it?). So, I prefer a
healthy, sound, salubrious mess rather than an infected mess, in such
circonstances (it may turn out into an endemic state, and I prefer to
avoid this).

> What I don't understand is in what way an earlier publication of
> the candidate's statements would have affected the nomcom's
> outcome. Or is the issue yet another one?

Jeanette, may I remind you that we haven't even enjoyed a later
publication of these statements, till now?
To start with, I, for one, want to see the report that should have
been submitted to the nomcom from the incumbents on their activity in
the MAG as CS members.

Moreover, a nomcom, by definition, is constrained by the fact that
people see on which bases it makes it decision. If we don't know who
are the candidates, how the hell would we make any appreciation on
the resulting selection? I don't even understand why the LAC people
are unhappy with the selection, if I don't know whether there are
only two LAC candidates or more than two..

These are really basic arguments. There is the most important one:
the principle. How could we have any respect for ourselves if we
accept such processes? The more some people seem reluctant to
transparency and daylight, the more the process they support looks
like a vampire (yes, a bloody situation, definitely). You don't want
a MAG-Dracula, on top of all its failures, do you?

Best,
     governance at lists.cpsr.org