[governance] IGF workshops: A workshop on Multilingualism and the Internet???

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 11:36:57 EDT 2008

Colleagues,

I think that we should pay serious attention to Baudouin's message below
with respect to the issue of multilingualism on the Net something that we
have been as guilty of overlooking as many others in the Anglophone
dominated Internet world... (the reason being I think, the rather narrow CS
base on which the IGC and ultimately the IGF draw upon for participation...

Among other things, 2008 year is the UNESCO sponsored International Year of
Languages http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/ev.php-URL_ID=35344
<http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/ev.php-URL_ID=35344&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL
_SECTION=201.html> &URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html and I think it
would have been very appropriate if CS had proposed a workshop on the role
of languages (or multi-lingualizing) and the Internet.

(Just a thought, I'm wondering if it is too late to put in a very brief
proposal which could be fleshed out a bit later... I'm quite sure that the
Secretariat for the International Year (managed I believe by our CS
colleague Viola Krebs would be very supportive...

MG