[governance] Workshop Proposal: Transboundary Internet

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Sat Apr 26 01:27:19 EDT 2008

Thanks, Jeanette. One outcome that I want to see us user education. I
don't think we're going to change government behavior, but we can
teach users to avoid or mitigate the worst effects of government
behavior. For example, many people do not understand the various
pieces of the infrastructure that support their Internet presence, and
education can help them route around the problem areas; people outside
the U.S. who want to do business with Cubans may find powerful reasons
in U.S. law to avoid U.S.-based registries, registrars and hosting
companies. From my perspective, explaining the issue takes us most of
the way in educating users about how to protect themselves.

On the length, I quite agree with you. We may find the topic now is
very broad with too many speakers, and that's one of the things we'll
look at. If you have any ideas about how to pare this down, feel free
to drop me a note off list.

      Bret

     governance at lists.cpsr.org