[governance] IGC Nomcom - Slate of candidates

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Apr 23 04:14:59 EDT 2008

Hi Meryem,

Thanks for more directly stating and elaborating on my questions, I guess
there was no need for subtlety.  Again, we all appreciate the effort that
was made and I'm not seeking to initiate a round of post hoc criticism of
the way the process was managed, but I do agree with you that the way we did
it in 2006 was better, more transparent.   I've not saved the messages and
don't feel like digging through the archives, but I seem to recall that a
number of the candidates expressed interest on the list, and as you say all
candidates with endorsements and bios went up at
http://www.wsis-cs.org/igfnominees.shtml before the nomcom began, so
everyone knew what was what from the outset.

In contrast, this year, nominations were sent privately to the chair, and no
information was returned to the list on the number or identities of
candidates. Weeks of silence ensued, and I recall worrying in a post that
the deadline for submissions was approaching and we didn't seem to have many
candidates since only a few incumbents--Adam, Jeanette, Qusai I
believe----had said on the list they wanted to be considered.  But as we
were informed some time later, after the process was well underway, there
were in fact 33 candidates.  And now that selections have been made, we
still don't have information about them.  Hopefully in lieu of having
provided info along the way, the nomcom will include in its pending report
full info on each step so that next time around and into the future (however
long that may be---btw the caucus' fifth anniversary went by without
comment) there will be a proper record that can be consulted.

I don't know why the approach used previously wasn't followed in this
instance, but would suggest that it be followed in the future. Caucus
processes should not be run like Papal conclaves.

Best,

Bill

On 4/22/08 4:37 PM, "Meryem Marzouki" <marzouki at ras.eu.org> wrote:

> Le 22 avr. 08 à 16:16, William Drake a écrit :
>
>> Not that it matters much, but will we be doing the same as last
>> time, when
>> info on the nominees and process was posted?
>> http://www.nomadicity.net/IGC-candidates-for-IGF-MAG.html
>> In fact, didn't we also post info on the candidates and endorsements
>> pre-nomcom?  I don't remember anymore...Anyway, I at least don't know
>> everyone who's been nominated...
>
> Yes, we did, and we had this information before the nomcom started
> its work last time:
> http://www.wsis-cs.org/igfnominees.shtml
> This page shows the list of nominees the previous NomCom has
> considered, with their bios, their statement of intent, their
> endorsements, etc. The http://www.nomadicity.net/IGC-candidates-for-
> IGF-MAG.html page only shows the nominees selected by former IGC nomcom.
>
> I think it matters a lot, actually, in terms of IGC internal
> transparency and accountability. And since the current nomcom rightly
> asked, in its call for nominations and among other requirements, for:
>
> "4. Those who are already on the MAG may also briefly mention about
> how they carried out their responsibilities in the last two terms, in
> advocating and pushing the wider CS positions, and IGC¹s positions.
> Their level and manner of engagement with the IGC, and the wider CS
> constituencies, may also be mentioned.",
>
> I would be interested, as an IGC member, in reading such brief
> reports from concerned nominees, especially since I see from the
> nomcom results that some of them have been selected again. These
> information will certainly be provided in the nomcom report, although
> concerned nomineeds would have shown some consideration to the IGC by
> posting these information to the list.
>
> Best,
> Meryem

William J. Drake