[governance] IGC nomcom process and results

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Apr 25 09:59:46 EDT 2008

At 8:31 AM -0400 4/25/08, Avri Doria wrote:
>On 25 Apr 2008, at 04:56, Meryem Marzouki wrote:
>>"6. All candidates reviewed by nomcom will be made public as will
>>their applications and other information"
>>
>>- candidates will make public their applications and other info if
>>they are willing to to so, or
>>- nomcom have to make public the list of candidates, as well as
>>their applications and other information?
>

>I thought it meant that all information would be made public by the
>nomcom.  i.e. your second interpretation.
>
>what is missing from the statement is when.  does this need to be
>done during the process or as part of the report.

Only the names of the selected nominees and their statements please
(I have a slight problem with part of my statement, had I been told
it was public I would have written it slightly differently.  But I'll
sort that out with the nomcom. Make clear where a change has been
made or some such.  Only editorial, of a kind.)

One additional concern about candidate's expectation of privacy,
Robert's email (nomcom chair) has what I think is a standard .sig:

"CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION AND DISCLAIMER

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed and contains information that is privileged
and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify me immediately at +1 (202) 905-2081 and delete
the original message.

If you are the intended recipient of this message, we remind you that
electronic mail on the Internet may not be secure and that this
message was not and future messages will not be encrypted or
otherwise protected, unless specifically requested, in which case,
special arrangements will be made."

I know what it says, but it's about the impression it gives.

>On 25 Apr 2008, at 07:58, Adam Peake wrote:
>>Agree, this process doesn't seem relevant to recommendations for the MAG.
>>
>>Clearly intended for the appeals team (I can see no reason why a
>>member of the appeals team should not also be recommended for the
>>MAG), refers to appointments (we don't appoint people to the MAG),
>>number of volunteers based on number of positions etc.
>

>from http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC-charter_final-061014.html
>

>>       All nominations to external bodies, e.g., the IGF
>>multistakholder advisory group, will be made using a randomly
>>selected nomcom process as defined in
>>http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-process.html.

So we should be using that process for the MAG.  That's a shame.

As soon as we have a voting membership (apologies for mentioning that
again :-)  I think we need to re-write a lot of stuff.  But not now,
May consultations first.

>On 25 Apr 2008, at 06:45, William Drake wrote:
>>  If we're
>>going to have a re-do now, for the record, please recall that in addition to
>>Avri's site http://www.igcaucus.org there is also Adam's old site
>>http://www.net-gov.org/ which has some (but not all) caucus statements and
>>such from the WSIS period.  Most of the stuff from the post-WSIS IGF period
>>is not on either site.  Some day it would make sense to collect and
>>consolidate IGF material in one place and organize it for easy access.
>>Unless a masochistic volunteer can be found, perhaps a small grant proposal
>>to pay someone to do it would be worth pursuing.
>

>As i have said, i will turn of care and feeding of the web site to
>someone else as selected by the coordinators.  i have even given at
>least one of them the password.
>
>as for the current site, i am willing to add anything to it that
>people ask me to add (other then fancy frames and assort of other
>stuff.)  i did try to add a wiki, but got hung up with some system
>problems that i could not work again.  i keep thinking of moving the
>site to another machine but don't  have the resources at the moment
>to do so.  nte: there has been a pointer to Adam;s old site

Better to call it Vittorio's site, he maintains it.  I just pay for the name.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org