[governance] coordinator elections

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Apr 24 01:27:14 EDT 2008

Avri

>>reply to members queries whether
> > we have
> > a list of subscribed members.

> we have the list of people who voted in the first election on the web
> site and they are 'members' by virtue of having agreed to following
> statement on the ballot (as dictated by the charter).

That number (46) is a little less than the number who subscribed to the
charter (53) not counting technical disqualification for votes) by voting
FOR it just 6 weeks earlier. Is that then the case that 7 of them lost their
'membership' by the act of non-voting. (And it is quite likely that there
would have been more among the '56' who subscribed who did not vote in the
co-coordinator election, because a few who did not subscribe could have
voted in the elections.) People choose to vote or not vote depending on the
issue, without meaning to disengage from membership of a group. If voting
'determines' membership, you are in effect calling for compulsory voting at
all times, which is a bit extreme.

The issue here in front of the caucus is to determine if membership will
determine voting list, or voting list should determine membership. My views
on this are clear. Charter, rightly, puts the 'membership' section way
higher than the 'voting process' section and the relationship should be
obvious.

To repeat, membership section, rightly coming immediately after description
of vision, mission and objectives of the caucus, clearly says, "The members
of the IGC are individuals, acting in personal capacity, who subscribe to
the charter of the caucus".

Membership is a more enduring quality, voting behavior is more transient. In
fact, as noted above, I think quite likely that some people who may not have
voted in the charter poll voted in the coordinator elections. You are given
a voting ballot to choose, you think Parminder is likely to be an awful
coordinator, you 'want' to say 'no' to him, as a right to expressing your
views, because you are after all on the IGC list and affected by
coordinator's behavior, and vote 'no'. Others may not care to say anything
either way, without meaning to disengage from the group.

That brings us to the issue of 'IGC list participant' and (versus ?) 'IGC
member' (of the advocacy group constituted by the charter) as per the
charter. First of all, I must re-assert that I am not straying into the area
of what I THINK it should be, about which many members here are eager to
jump to conclude, but only about what I read in charter.

I think it a matter of known fact that many of those subscribing to the IGC
list take it only as place to look up information, and/ or occasionally to
express some views. They do not care - which they have a right to do - to be
associated with any advocacy positions and activity, or any declaration of
advocacy principles and a set of proposed collective activities(as the
charter does). I did not create this distinction, it is known and existing,
and the charter, in my opinion, acknowledges and formalizes it.

Otherwise there was no reason why under membership we just did not simply
write - "The members of the IGC are individuals, acting in personal
capacity, who are subscribed to the IGC mailing list." Instead of, as at
present. (see above).

So, Avri, when the ballot you used asked for self-identification as a 'civil
society participant of the Internet Governance Caucus' it does not make
anything clear at all about endorsing the charter, and anyone can take it as
meaning being a CS person subscribed to the list. The reader is likely to
take more cognizance of the 'civil society' aspect of this phrase, and this
is how I also read the significance of this phrase. If one were sure one was
CS and of course one will on the IGC list if one receives this communication
one will (perhaps) not hesitate before one clicks the vote button, without
reading the charter much less affirm that one endorses it, even if only in
ones mind and to oneself.

> > But I don't understand how does by voting one
> > gets
> > treated as having subscribed to the charter.
>
> becasue the ballot asks them not to vote if they don't.  seems
> relatively simple and open.

No, the ballot you posted does NOT ask them not to vote if they don't -
subscribe to the charter. That's the whole point.

Also please tell me what's your real problem with preparing a full list of
the 'membership' as per the charter which we do not have at present and use
it for voting purpose.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org