[governance] coordinator elections

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Apr 23 10:12:40 EDT 2008

Izumi

No intention to make things complicated but I understand your dilemma. But I
have to conduct elections and also reply to members queries whether we have
a list of subscribed members.

> Parminder, do you request new members to say if they subscribe to the
> charter and then given the voting right?

All 'new' members were already asked, and I have a separate list of those
who have subscribed.

>Or do you request all members
> do so again even they did before?

Nobody has done any process of 'subscribing' to the charter. There was a
vote on the charter which went 56 - 3, with a quorum of 67 (including votes
rendered invalid for technical reasons). We DONT have a list of those who
voted 'for' the charter.

Or, Avri, do you suggest that those who
> subscribed the list for more than two months be given the voting right,
> but
> by voting they must be treated as they have subscribed to the charter?
> (To me that seems OK, but I want to confirm).

That what Avri says.  But I don't understand how does by voting one gets
treated as having subscribed to the charter. And what of those who do not
vote because they just do not care to make a choice on co-coordinator issue.
They become/ remain non-members?

This way we still wont have a members list

Whats wrong with sending an email to all asking if they have read and
subscribe to the charter they cut paste a single line in reply. And on that
basis prepare a members list, which is then the voting list (with 2 month on
the list criteria added).

Is what you are suggesting that we add a line on the ballot - if you vote,
it will be taken that you have read the charter and subscribe to it.. A lot
round about manner of ascertaining the primary criterion of membership per
the charter but that fine, if everyone wants that. And I cant understand
what advantage does it have vis a vis a more direct process I suggested.

And if we go by it still not have a full membership list. And remember even
last time less people voted in the co-coordinator election than in the
charter process. People often make that choice. And members have asked for
that list, which I don't think is an unfair request.

Lastly, I am asking this purely from a practical point of view. I need to
conduct the elections as per the charter. I will go with whatever veers
towards a consensus position here.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org