[governance] IGC workshops

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Apr 19 02:55:55 EDT 2008

Hi All

This is where we stand on our workshop proposals.

1.	Role and mandate of the IGF

The call is open for volunteers to convene and join this group. As Adam and
others said this should be a very useful exercise of evaluating the IGF at
the mid-point of its (expectedly, initial) 5 year life. We will need to
build on the work that got done for this workshop last year. As you know, we
did hold a workshop in the same topic last year and the proposal is that we
make this a regular IGF feature.

Significantly, the IGF page listing the topic under which workshop proposals
(http://www.intgovforum.org/workshop_info.htm ) may be given says;
"Workshops on other issues relating to Internet governance and the mandate
of the IGF are also welcome." We seem to be already in. I think this is an
important impact of IGC's first ever workshop on this topic last year, that
it is now a part of the official list of themes for workshops.

2.	Trans-boundary jurisdiction issues

A WG convened by Bret is developing this proposal.

3.	Internationalization

As proposed earlier, in this slot it will be useful to put in the IGP
workshop proposal on 'The Future of ICANN: After the JPA, What?' Please see
Milton's email of the 17th on this. Any IGC member who wishes to work with
IGP group to develop/ influence this workshop proposal may write to Milton
(and/or me), and can become a part of a WG.

4.	A rights based approach to the Internet - Implications for IG

Michael and Karen are co-coordinating a WG on this, and a proposal will soon
be shared for discussion, as with other proposal. Anyone who wants to join
this WG is welcome.

If we can have the proposals from the WGs by the 23rd we can discuss them in
the IGC till the 26th and then put them for a consensus call. These need to
be submitted by 30th. We should get as much information in as possible to
fill in the workshop application form which lists the following questions.

1.	Name of proposed workshop
2.	Provide a concise description of the proposed workshop theme
including its importance and relevance to the IGF.
3.	Provide the names and affiliations of the panellists you are
planning to invite. Describe the main actors in the field and whether you
have you approached them about their willingness to participate in proposed
workshop.
4.	Provide the name of the organizer(s) of the workshop and their
affiliation to various stakeholder groups. Describe how you will take steps
to adhere to the multi-stakeholder principle, geographical diversity and
gender balance.
5.	Does the proposed workshop provide different perspectives on the
issues under discussion?
6.	Please explain how the workshop will address issues relating to
Internet governance and describe how the workshop conforms with the Tunis
Agenda in terms of substance and the mandate of the IGF.
7.	List similar events you and/or any other IGF workshops you have
organized in the past.
8.	Were you part of organizing a workshop last year? Which one? Did you
submit a workshop report?
9.	9. Under which of the five IGF themes does the proposal fall under ?

The workshop proposal request says that at this stage we need to "at least
provide answers to questions # 1,2,4 and 9".See
<http://www.intgovforum.org/workshop_info.htm>
http://www.intgovforum.org/workshop_info.htm . For answering question 9,
please see the list of topics mentioned on this link, though workshops
outside these topics can also be proposed.

Thanks. Parminder