[governance] IGC workshops

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Tue Apr 15 06:17:29 EDT 2008

hi parminder

pulling the list of possibilities together for ease of reference

APC needs to consult much further internally, and
particularly with members, and i don't think i
could come back to you with a definite on most of
this until next monday.. but as an indication

on the proposals contributed during the last open consultation:

1. Enhanced Cooperation - What Was Meant By the
Tunis Agenda, and What Is the Status of It

2. Network Neutrality - Ensuring Openness in All Layers of the Internet

==> 3. A Development Agenda for Internet Governance

we have already indicated our interest in this to bill

==> 4. Transparency and Inclusive Participation in Internet Governance

on this topic.. i'd like to have more detail on
what's proposed.. APC will continue to work with
the COE and UNECE on public participation in IG
mechanisms (which obviously includes issues of
transparency and participation) building on last
year's workshop - one outcome of which was a
press release to lauch an initiative calling for
a code of practice i9n relation to public
participation principles. We have since begun a
small research piece on this and will be sharing
initial findings at a workshop on May 23rd in Geneva, co-sponsored by the COE.

We will also be working with the COE on a
workshop proposal for the IGF - so, it might well
make sense to try to dovetail the above with that
- but i wouldn't want to tread on any toes and so
would ask whoever proposed the above to share
more info on what their plans are or how they
perceived this workshop panning out?
==

on the current proposals

>5. Role and mandate of the IGF
==> interested in this, but not in taking a lead

>6. Trans-boundary jurisdiction issues
>7. Internationalization

>8. A rights based approach to the Internet – Implications for IG
==> interested in this, but we'd need far more
time to discuss so i can't commit to leading as coordinator just now

karen

     governance at lists.cpsr.org