AW: [governance] Where are we with IGC workshops?

Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat Apr 12 07:25:34 EDT 2008

We all remember that the Tunis package (principles, IGF, EC³) was a compromise based on the understanding that 2005 is too early to make decisions. Stakeholders (and in particular governments) buyed time to keep the face and (probably) to prepare a new effort after a couple of years if things are getting clearer or the general political environment has changed. Question is: Are things now clearer? Has the environment changed?

Political strategies are driven by the interests of the involved partners. Do you see some shifts in the interests of the various stakeholders? Do we see new challenges which put the old controversies into a different light, make it more relevant or more irrelevent?

We should not forget, that regardless of all the speculations around "beyond the DNS" and "beyond IP" the next generation networks are on top of the DNS. I was in the recent "EU Future of the Internet" conference in Lake Bled where we had also US and Japan presentations on the NGN like GENI etc. http://www.fi-bled.eu/programme.php

I am rather sceptical with regard to the clean slate approach. I see more governance problems with the ONS or sensor based adressing systems (with IP enabled RFID chips). The problem is, that the ONS is at the moment based on one .com Domain, with other words controlled by VeriSign. Europeans are unhappy with the US controlled GPS and invest billions into GALILEO. I am afraid that a VerSign controlled ONS will be even more bad for the Europeans than the GPS. Do we have a governance alternatives?

Wolfgang

     governance at lists.cpsr.org