[governance] Where are we with IGC workshops?

Michael Leibrandt michael_leibrandt at web.de
Fri Apr 11 10:58:59 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Reading the proposed ws titles again after sipping some smooth fresh coconut juice at the endless coast of Bahia, I think they sound somewhat too >academic< and - boring. I guess we`re not doing this exercise just for us, but want to attract co-sponsors and participants with different and often limited IG backgrounds. Based on Meryems comment, my suggestions would be as follows:

1- "Role and Mandate of IGF"

We`re moving towards the third IGF, so please no more discussions about the present IGF settings and/or TA interpretations. How about >Future Development of the IGF<?

2- "Critical Internet Resources"

Still the hot issue, including the ugly ec challenge. Don`t share the view of some colleagues that the US elections will bring a quick solution to the internationalization problem, therefore we need to continue that debate. This includes the question if internationalization can be reached directly coming from a one-government setting, or if  there might be the need  for a detour via stronger IGO envolvement (I know, a no-go for some colleagues). Actually, this is also about future coalitions between cs and other relevant players. Maybe we can openly say >Internationalization of Internet Governance<?

3- "IG and global jurisdiction - political, legal, contractual,
technical and private means/instruments"

Is it really about >jurisdiction< at the global level, or more about >decision making< processes in a wider sense? The main challenge seems to be that we have to combine a global infrastructure with local and regional needs and expectations. How about >Local Users in Global Internet Governance<? This includes, among others, the consumer confronted with foreign custom duties as well as the SME confonted with foreign intellectual property regimes.

4- "Coexistence of commercial and non-profit spaces on the Internet -
implications for IG"

In the Web 2.0 world you can often find both spaces in just one entity. I would use a shortened version of Meryems proposal: >Commons, public service and commercial values<.

Cheers,

Michael

In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und gestalten!
Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114

     governance at lists.cpsr.org