[governance] Where are we with IGC workshops?

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Apr 11 05:51:59 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Where are we with IGC workshop proposals, since deadline is April 30?
 From previous messages, the following ideas emerged:

1- "Role and Mandate of IGF" (follow-up of last year workshop. I
would rephrase title as: "Role, Structure and Mandate of the IGF")
2- "Critical Internet Resources" (title to be reworked)
3- "IG and global jurisdiction - political, legal, contractual,
technical and private means/instruments" (what does "private" refer
to here? Isn't this covered by "contractual"?)
4- "Coexistence of commercial and non-profit spaces on the Internet -
implications for IG" (I would rephrase as: "Commons, public service
and commercial values: IG issues for their pacific coexistence")

Let aside the question of co-sponsorship by other stakeholders, that
we could explore later in the process:
- workshop #1 should be the main IGC workshop
- workshops 2, 3 and 4 could be co-organized/merged with similar
proposals from other CS consituencies, provided they agree, of course
(e.g. IGP mentioned its plans to organize a workshop on issue #3,
ITfC have plans on issue #4 if I well remember, etc.).
- I'm wondering whether workshop #2 issues couldn't be dealt with in
workshop #4, thus restricting our plans to 3 workshops?

Besides this, the IGC obviously may decide to co-sponsor other
workshops, once they are defined and submitted to its members for co-
sponsorship.

I would then suggest at this step that we collectively (and quickly)
work in priority on proposals for workshops #1, #3 and #4.

Best,
Meryem

Le 30 mars 08 à 11:36, Parminder a écrit :

> My suggestions...
>
>> 2- "Critical Internet resources"
>> or whatever this may me called. Adam's proposing "Arrangements for
>> Internet governance", but I'm afraid this title may be misleading. I
>> think the idea is the same, however)
>
> Istn this too generic as stated here. I could not understand what
> would
> 'arrangements for IG' stand for.
>
> On the other hand, Meryem, in this list of 3 you did not include the
> proposal for a workshop on nonprofit/ public/ welfare aspect of the
> Internet
> and its implications for IG. Some support for this workshop has been
> expressed, and some discussion taken place. The last was about
> naming it
> something like
>
> "Coexistence of commercial and non-profit spaces on the Internet
> -- implications for IG"
>
> But I think it will need some more work... Meanwhile it is
> interesting to
> note that Council or Europe in its recent resolution (at
> https://wcd.coe.int/ViewDoc.jsp?Ref=CM/Rec(2008)6 ) further expound
> the
> 'public value' aspect of the Internet that it has been speaking
> about for
> some time now.
>
> To quote
>
> " Aware of the public service value of the Internet, understood as
> people’s
> significant reliance on the Internet as an essential tool for their
> everyday
> activities (communication, information, knowledge, commercial
> transactions,
> entertainment) and the resulting legitimate expectation that Internet
> services be accessible, affordable, secure, reliable and ongoing and
> recalling in this regard Recommendation Rec(2007)16 of the
> Committee of
> Ministers on measures to promote the public service value of the
> Internet."
>
> I think this is an important 'higher level' issue for IG that CS
> must push.
> And therefore a workshop on this issue of public value or
> publicness of the
> Internet will be useful.
>
>> 3- "Technical and contractual means of law enforcement and control:
>> revising the competence of jurisdictions?"
>> This may be rewritten, but I hope you get the idea.
>
> There is good agreement on a workshop roughly around this topic,
> but again
> this needs more work. I suggest something like - "IG and global
> jurisdiction
> - political, legal, contractual, technical and private means/
> instruments'. I
> know this is spectacularly inelegant, but just contributing this as a
> general idea of what its content can be.
>
> And we may do a place-holder for present - with something shorter and
> crisper - and expound the idea further as we prepare the final
> [...]
>>> cooperation'. IGF is the right forum to deliberate on the meaning

     governance at lists.cpsr.org