[governance] ISP 'listening in' to your tap-tap-tap on your

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 11:05:37 EDT 2008

Suresh

[Apologies to others, but original email WAS about internet governance].

The point is, how safe are we from the likes of these governments,
when information that we have come into contact* is surrendered unto
the authorities, ostensibly under cover of "war on terrorists"? You've
seen Abu Graib, Guantanamo, thousands of emails going missing,
rendition flights, etc.

You might want to read this: "In a just-declassified 2003 memo,
Justice Department lawyer John Yoo said George W. Bush could order
abuse of captives to extract information. But one provocative footnote
said Bush also could ignore constitutional rights while undertaking
domestic military operations",
http://www.consortiumnews.com/2008/040608a.html,

and: " The release of a five-year-old Justice Department memo
underscores how far the advocates for George W. Bush's unfettered
power were ready to go."
http://www.consortiumnews.com/2008/040208.html

As for the axis, perhaps in the countries where you have lived long
enough, you might have heard people talking a US invention called the
axis of evil (which by the way, shifts according to convenience and
political expediency). I made a deliberate reference to that axis in
my "axis of pax americana". And if you haven't asked yourself about
the consequences of powerful members of the EU having right-wing
governments at a time when we have a coterie of right-wing lunatics in
Washington, then you should.

But if it makes you feel better by not singling out the US, then, yes,
I concede Zimbabwe, China, and others into that league of rogue
states.

*contact with information: Everyone has the right to freedom of
opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions
without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and
ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Regards,

Rui

On 07/04/2008, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
> Carlos Afonso [07/04/08 08:45 -0300]:
>
> > Unfortunately not, Suresh... And certainly the axis of pax americana does
> not need more defenders. They have abundant supply of these, either by force
> (their historically proven preference) or otherwise.
> >

>  Oh, I'm not defending pax americana as much as I'm criticizing its sillier
>  critics.  I'm quite agnostic about which variety of rabid civil society
>  proaganda I criticize - butted heads with moveon.org as well as their right
>  wing equivalents, and the same in other countries where I've lived long
>  enough to take an interest in local politics.
>
>         srs

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa