[governance] Internet Bill of Rights - Hoping there's progress .. wishing for it to succeed.

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 27 05:25:30 EDT 2007

I am primarily responding to the question that has been discussed briefly in
this thread of whether conception, articulation and adoption of new sets of
rights are at all needed for the Internet, and, more generally, for the
techno-social phenomenon of an emerging information society. Robert, Milton
and Vittorio have expressed some views on this....

 It is wrong to dismiss a rights discourse - by asserting that we don't need
new 'rights' and that they may create more problems - without inspecting the
basic significance of 'rights', why and when new rights get instituted, and
whether present circumstances require such an exercise.

Rights constitute an important element of defining the relationship between
individuals and social institutions, and thus are one of the key principles
of societal organization. There can be other principles - like market based
exchanges, and all these principles together shape our societies, and thus
are important inputs into a policy discourse like the one conducted on this
list.

Information society term implies far reaching structural changes to our
societal institutions - which are taking place right now in front of our
eyes, and the Internet is the central techno-social paradigm driving these
changes. Existing statements of rights are framed in terms of social reality
experienced by their framers. Most of these still hold true today as they
did when they were formulated. But greater emphasis on some issues may be
required, while some entirely new areas requiring a rights-based approach
may come up. Robert, I know you work a lot in the area of privacy, do you
think that the extent and nature of threat to privacy is adequately covered
by existing HR instruments?

Much of the current evolution of rights discourse is taking place in
developing countries. UNDP has increasingly been casting its polices and
practices in the area of development in terms of what it calls as a
rights-based approach.

The few rights based initiatives in terms of the Internet and the IS that
have originated in the North have ignored these new areas of 'rights', and
thus lack global legitimacy.

A 'right to communicate' and 'communications rights' have been some areas of
evolution of rights in areas in which the Internet has strong and direct
impact. Sen's 'capability rights' approach has strong implication in ICTD
area (IT for Change is working on applying this approach to ICTD and ICT
policy - in how ICTs expand capabilities and freedoms, as education does, in
making possible new choices of 'being' and 'doing', and therefore how ICTs
may need to seen from a rights perspective, and the policy implications
thereof).

And this discourse of rights is not merely academic; proceeding on what
aspects of the Internet and ICTs are seen from a rights-perspective gives us
the ground for shaping appropriate Internet and IS polices - which are an
expression of societal goals and chosen means to reach them.

To not employ a rights framework for developing global and sub-global
Internet polices may be wrong to say the least, and possibly
ideologically-biased.

On the question raised by Milton that since governments regularly violate
existing HR guarantees there is no practical sense in writing more HR text -
well, this comes from an environ where a high degree of HR protection is
taken for guaranteed, in other places peoples' struggles still see
international and national HR docs are key allies in their fights, and these
often have great practical value.

Parminder
Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore