[governance] Internet Bill of Rights - Hoping there's progress .. wishing for it to succeed.

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Tue Sep 25 15:56:27 EDT 2007

Thanks, this is a valuable contribution.

Robert Guerra ha scritto:
> first a question..is there a mailing list? If not, let me suggest one be
> created so that scholars and human rights professionals can come
> together to discuss , and develop a draft that's universal

Yes, there's a coalition website at
http://www.internet-bill-of-rights.org, a mailing list at
conference website at http://www.dfiritaly2007.it/ .

> In summary, one can't just announce someone as grand as an "internet
> bill of rights" and not engage others in a pro-active fashion. There is
> great interest in this - but, to succeed as a global inititiave  -  it
> has to really be the work of an active international coalition  and not
> just one person or one country.

Sure, but someone has to start, and I think this is a problem for all
dynamic coalitions; at least in terms of mailing list messages, apart
from the Privacy one, the others seem to have activity levels that are
similar to or even less than that of the Bill of Rights DC.

Personally, I think that, more than at a monolithic Bill of Rights, we
should be aiming at a practical "Internet rights framework" developed at
the IGF, as the result of the coordinated work of all the coalitions.
There already are too manyv high level documents, and not enough
practical respect for human rights, or clarity about "down to earth"
principles that any blogger and any webmaster can apply. The BoR
coalition should thus discuss the conceptual and formal framework to get
to several declarations of rights, all deriving from the fundamental
statements of human rights, and all coming to a level which is clear,
applicable and enforceable.

On the other hand, this is for what I know the first attempt to a really
multistakeholder approach to this discussion. In the past, the techies
released their edicts, some NGOs did their own, and some governments
also did the same. What we need is to understand how to put all of this
together.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------