[governance] Internet Bill of Rights - Hoping there's progress .. wishing for it to succeed.

Erick Iriarte Ahon faia at amauta.rcp.net.pe
Tue Sep 25 16:05:57 EDT 2007

Hi

In 2001, James Graham proposed the creation of "Group for the
Internationalization of Cyberspace (GIC)"
[The Internationalization of Cyberspace for a Legal E-Qual World: A
Latin American Initiative]

He said: "The present initiative aims to resolve most of the actual
legal problems that are discussed on national and international
level. Internet being transnational by its nature, regulators do
accord that there is a real need for some international legislation.
However, their will of protection of sovereignty does not permit
today to find a global solution. Although, some treaties have been
achieved (e.g. the Cybercrime Treaty of the European Council) or will
be achieved (e.g. the Jurisdiction Convention of the Conference of
the Hague), no international organization does treat Internet and its
issues as a whole. Beneath specific topics like e-signatures or
cybercrimes, there are other issues like the digital divide and the
respect of fundamental freedoms.".

You can find the proposal and Project in:
http://www.alfa-redi.com/gic/

Six years ago, and for some reason, the document only appear in some
articles in LAC (i think the same reason that have only a few LAC
organizations in another proposals).

Maybe you can use the proposal for the discuss.

Erick Iriarte Ahon

     governance at lists.cpsr.org