[governance] tick, tick, tick...

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Sep 18 09:17:58 EDT 2007

Adam

It is a few days old email, but I thought I shd reply to it because it
implicates my IGC co-coordinator role and responsibilities.

> About the tradition -- all I can say is Jeanette
> and I didn't speak at sessions, tried to steer
> opportunities to others.

Which sessions are you speaking of. IGF started last year, you weren't the
co-coordinator, and there weren't any IGC nominations.

In any case, I should inform you that I no longer am offering myself for
speaking at main sessions at Athens. One of the two persons I contacted for
speaking on the issues which were high-jacked off the agenda has agreed. The
person is a senior member of an UN agency and has worked on the issues of
pro-poor access and community based access models. Incidentally, the other
one was Sean Siochru who is also on your list. However, he wont be coming to
Rio.

>When it comes to
> consultations it often seems IT for Change has
> comments in before the caucus.  So perhaps it's a
> matter of priorities?

That's the main issue I seek to address. I don't understand what exactly do
you mean here. Should IT for Change cease its advocacy work since I am the
caucus co-coordinator. Is it a condition of taking up coordinator-ship? But
no real organization is going to give up its core work because one of its
members becomes a co-coordinator This will mean only individuals with no
organisational affiliations, or at least, presence in the IG arena with any
sort of views, can become a co-coordinator. Do you mean to propose such a
criterion for IGC co-coordinators?

I see few if anyone from the South who will meet this requirement.

And I know when you read IT for Change you think me, and that is really not
my fault. IT for Change has an important presence in local, national and
global levels - in projects, research and advocacy. And our positions are
consistent across our activities as they emerge from them. These views and
positions are publicly available for others to hold us accountable as well,
since we live off public money. And we are responsible and accountable to
our members, out partners, funders and such stakeholders...

Which is much more than can be said of views and positions of individuals
actors in this arena (nothing against them, but since there seems to be a
position against organisational actors and the way they act, I am using this
argument).

Is it not better to put out written views and positions and be accountable
to them rather than push individual politics through a variety of means
while appearing neutral, whatever it means in a political arena.

I strive to balance my responsibilities in IT for Change and that of caucus
coordinator, and I wont agree to your suggestion that I am not doing it
well. Of course you have a right to say so, and seek accountability. Here
above is my response. Which is more than I have seen with regard to frequent
requests on this list on improving the information flow to the list from IGC
MAG members nominated to the selection process by the IGC - not only of
process issues, but also on more substantive matters. And now even the UN
Secretary General has shown impatience with the flow of information to
stkaeholders.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore