[governance] tick, tick, tick...

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Sep 10 10:53:15 EDT 2007

Bertrand

>May I repeat the suggestion that speakers participating in workshops be
considered in a first round : we are sure they will be there and they will
be harder to >oppose.

>Workshop organizers in each track could be invited to suggest names, to
alleviate the burden of Parminder and Vittorio, as well as provide some
transparency in >the process.

I agree that this criterion should be used as well, along with others. But
not exclusively. And therefore I won’t go for a ‘first round’ of just such
speakers.

I did list this criterion also when I suggested a couple of criteria for
nominating speakers. While the logic of connecting the workshops to the main
session through speakers is sound, we should not ignore the fact that there
is a complete lack of diversity in workshops themselves – a very
overwhelming number are organized by North based actors, and by certain
stakeholder groups. Main sessions may also be used to correct this imbalance
rather than just reproducing it
. As long as that is kept in mind, it is
good to have enough number of speakers for the main session from the
workshops.

Best

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore

Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890

Fax: (+91-80) 4146 1055

 <http://www.itforchange.net/> www.ITforChange.net

  _____

On 9/10/07, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> I keep hoping the list will get back to its day job of, say, discussing
> whom might be recommended by the CS community to speak to which topic
> at IGF.

Thanks Lee, Vittorio and I are conferring on it, and will come out with a
scheme for this within the next 24 hours.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890
Fax: (+91-80) 4146 1055
www.ITforChange.net

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")