[governance] Re: Comcast Blocks Some Internet Traffic

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Oct 23 21:34:29 EDT 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 07:16:31PM -0400,
>  Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote

>> Is the diffserv protocol of the IETF, a violation of net neutrality?
>> Is any use of QoS inherently bad?
>
> The diffserv protocol is a _tool_. As most tools, it can be used for a
> lot of different things, some being bad.

I agree.

No matter how the news hypes the latest fattest network pipe, there will
always be points of congestion - most frequently at places where those
pipes converge into routers and on the local lines to people's homes.

To my mind the question is not of pure unadorned "neutrality" but rather
a question of who has the ability to control the knobs and levers that
define what traffic gets priority and which traffic is left to best
effort (or worse.)

The attempts by the US telcos are an attempt to take that control out of
the hands of network users (except in the most gross sense of paying
more money or switching providers) and use that control to promote the
telcos' products over those of competitors.

I, personally, am not adverse to differential pricing by the providers,
as long as it is done to manage resources without bias for or against
any particular product.  I realize that in the telecom space that this
has historically been a hard thing to do - the telco's are just too
imaginative, well financed, and persistent and the regulators too
stodgy.  But I have hope that perhaps we might do better.

(By way of disclosure, I build a device that tries to put some of that
control back into the hands of users - http://www.ispeedbump.com/ )

Now, what comcast did was apparently to forge TCP Reset packets using
the IP addresses and TCP connection sequence information obtained by
spying upon the traffic between the two ends of the TCP connection.

To my mind that is simply overt fraud, the intentional usurpation of
another's fundamental internet identity - the IP address they are using.
  It is no different than email forged with my name as the sender.

I've been stressing that in these internet governance debates that we
are galloping far to quickly towards specific problems and not spending
enough time formulating guiding principles.

Well, one such principle ought to be that absent a compelling reason the
internet should not be a home for those who use it under an identity,
whether it be an IP address or domain name or email address, that they
know is being used by another who has a viable color of right to use
that identity.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org