[governance] problem with the sessions: number of participants

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 17 10:10:20 EDT 2007

Adam Peake schrieb:
> The sessions are now 2 not 3 hours, but at the moment we have not found
> a way to reduce the number of participants, like Athens still around
> 12-16 per session.
No way. Enough said on this by you the others.

> The list of panelists and discussants doesn't look too bad from a civil
> society perspective (some holes, but not too bad.)
Good news.

> Some AG members are still suggesting moving people from the discard list
> (of course there are good people in that group) back as panelists or
> discussants.  So we are tending to see names being added rather than cut.
Strongly fight this tendency and tell them you have all support from the IGC.

> I think there should be no more than 9 on any session, perhaps 5
> panelists and 4 discussants (5 & 3 better of course.)  But that would
> mean dropping a lot of good people.
There will be lots of good people in the audience anyway. Good people can
raise their hands.

> Going for the smaller number means less CS on the sessions.
No problem at all if the other stakeholder groups are affected the same way.

> Some of us won't be happy.
The one thing I learned in the WSIS process is that diplomacy is not about
making everybody happy, it's about making everybody equally unhappy. :-)

> So what do we do and how do we do it.
If there is no agreed process for reducing names, you should just draw
lots. Seriously.

> We should not make the list of names public.  We've no right to do that.
Not sure about rights here, but I certainly avoids more trouble.

Good luck!

Ralf
     governance at lists.cpsr.org