[governance] Re: National network/ Individual rights to privacy and freedom of expression

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 15 17:18:40 EDT 2007

As with national efforts, there will be several facets.  And some of them will shape only as they go.

What we know about IDNs can fill in the picture, for that part.  And we do not have to wait to see, but know now how that will work.  Rather than replace or work in parallel, the IDN will give the local user the ability to reach web sites using Cyrillic script.  That is for the full address in the browser bar, including the last tld part of the web address.  So the everyday user is not denied access.

The neat part is that this new Cyrillic root interoperates seamlessly with the Roman-character root.  If a page request comes in for .com, .net, .org, etc, in the Roman characters that we use, that simply passes off to what we think of today as the root.

So you can see this as an extension, one that removes this part as a barrier for many tens of millions, who otherwise could not.  But in the best sense of extension, it just builds on what is already there, continuing what is in place but expanding possibilities - dramatically.

David

     governance at lists.cpsr.org