[governance] problem with the sessions: number of participants

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Oct 16 11:47:48 EDT 2007

Hi,

Not good news about the selection of speakers for the IGF.

The sessions are now 2 not 3 hours, but at the moment we have not
found a way to reduce the number of participants, like Athens still
around 12-16 per session.  Still draft, which I why I am writing for
advice. There's time to cut the numbers, if only we knew how...

The process so far.  My understanding is the secretariat took all
names received from different stakeholders (including
self-nominations). Collated the names by session they had been
recommended for, tried to find out if people were actually attending,
and sent a list of all these names to the advisory group for
comments.  Advisory group members then sent their recommendations
from that list back to the secretariat, there was some discussion,
but not much.  Recommendations were sent blind to the secretariat, in
most cases members didn't know who others were recommending.
Recommendations included moving people from sessions they had
originally been suggested for.

Last Thursday the secretariat sent list which they had divided up as
people who had support from among the advisory group being named as
panelists and discussants, and people lacking support being dropped.
Those with most support from among the advisory group were listed as
panelists, suggested they will be able to make an initial comment of
about 5 minutes (no powerpoint.)  Next level of support have been
suggested as discussants.

There's not been much discussion about the distinction between
panelists and discussants. I think discussants will be brought in
after a round of questions and comments from the floor.  They'll be a
kind of second wave, with shorter statements, perhaps give specific
examples to highlight some topic, or ask questions for the panel, or
try to move the discussion along if it becomes bogged down on one
issue or looses track, etc. (only my guess as to what they might do.)
I am not sure where the idea for "discussants" came from originally.

The numbers from last Thursday's list are:

Critical Internet Resources:  14 participants (8 speakers, 6 discussants)
Access: 15 participants (6 speakers, 9 discussants)
Diversity: 12 participants (8 speakers, 4 discussants)
Openness: 15 participants (9 speakers, 6 discussants)
Security: 16 participants (7 speakers, 9 discussants)
Emerging issues: 9 participants (4 speakers, 5 discussants)

It's not clear if all of these are actually attending, but seems most
will be (probably all.)

The list of panelists and discussants doesn't look too bad from a
civil society perspective (some holes, but not too bad.)

Some AG members are still suggesting moving people from the discard
list (of course there are good people in that group) back as
panelists or discussants.  So we are tending to see names being added
rather than cut.

What do we do?

I think there should be no more than 9 on any session, perhaps 5
panelists and 4 discussants (5 & 3 better of course.)  But that would
mean dropping a lot of good people.  There is no agreement among any
stakeholder group on who to select.

Very clear message from Athens that large panels are not acceptable,
they don't work.

Going for the smaller number means less CS on the sessions.  Some of
us won't be happy.

So what do we do and how do we do it. (Note the lack of time, less
than four weeks to the start of the meeting.)

We should not make the list of names public.  We've no right to do that.

Thanks,

Adam
     governance at lists.cpsr.org