[governance] Re: Russia plans to create independent web / internet

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Oct 13 01:05:51 EDT 2007

Calm down, Veni. For once, you have something substantive to offer to the dialogue, It is good, don’t spoil it with personal attacks. If the translation or the translator altered the imputed source, perhaps you are right, perhaps not, I am in no position to know that. Both in my blog and in my post today I recognized the possibility that this could be bombast: (quote)

“This "independent web" is of course not real yet, and the whole article could just be a trial balloon floated by nationalists who don't understand very well what they are trying to do.”

 On the other hand, it could reflect the intentions or feelings of certain people in Russia. What we do know is that China is already doing it and that the prospect of other countries imitating that model is something we need to take very seriously.

   _____