[governance] Russia plans to create independent web / internet

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sat Oct 13 06:11:52 EDT 2007

Milton and all,

You have been growing in a country whiich has somewhat level of
freedom of the press. It is good. It will be also good to NOT believe
that every other country is like that. It is also good to know that
certain countries have certain policies. You mention China and Russia.

I am sure that you may have wondered why exactly this "news" for
alternative "Internet" are coming from couintries which are not among
the most technologically developed countries? it is not a matter of me
being calm or not calm. I have nothing to do in this question, except
providing you with relevant information.

I certainly didn't mean to attack you, be that personally or
professionally. The discussion is not about us, but about the fact
that people tend to forget the basic principles of good, reliable
information, and that is, "check the facts". Are there people in
Russia, who want their own Internet? Sure, but what people is the
correct way to ask the question. Same for other countries. While it is
tempting to fight with the "evil American imperialists" (Wolfgang can
support me on this quote, as it was used in East Germany a lot before
1989), there are certain issues about innovation, creativity, hi-tech
development, etc. If you want to get real information about Russia,
tell me - how many times did any of the members of the list talked to
the Russian ccTLD, who has been at the last two ICANN meetings,
together with a number of the board members of .ru ccTLD? Or to some
of the registrars, who also were in Lisbon and Puerto Rico?

Yes, it is tempting to get the bombastic headline or article from a
Russian newspaper, mechanically translate it, and miss the little
allusions which actually give the real story.

I think it is more important for the Internet world the fact that .ru
has an Accountability Framework agreement with ICANN, that www.rans.ru
has good  working relations with ICANN, ISOC, ITU, and is now getting
the information about the IETF ISOC's fellowships to the Russian
engineers, etc.... than some article about something that someone has
said.

Hope you'd agree on that.

Best,
Veni