[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Fri Nov 30 11:20:21 EST 2007

Dear Karl,

At the risk of starting yet another questionably productive thread on
this list, I have to comment on your comment below.  I found it an
amazing comment, and perhaps symptomatic of why this list is not as
productive as it could be.

99.999% of Internet users are not drowning in powerlessness!
Instead, if they are drowning in anything, they are drowning in a sea
of extraordinarily rich information service offerings that they
couldn't have dreamed of having access to 10 years ago.  I think that
any one of them would say that they revel in the freely available
services that the Internet offers them, and they would say that the
Internet has empowered them in many ways.  in particular, they can
get a multiplicity of domain names if they want; they can even set up
whole networks and connect them to the Internet.

Where is the powerlessness, except from the at most 0.001% who are in
some way not satisfied with that, and who believe that they could run
the Internet better?  I think that you are looking at these issues
through a distorted lens.

I surely admit that there are improvements that can be made, mostly
IMHO in the area of available and affordable Internet access.  I also
admit that there are surely threats in areas such as confidentiality
and freedom of expression, just like there are with respect to every
other form of communications medium, including private conversations.
Concern over those issues is hardly sufficient to induce a feeling of
powerlessness on the part of Internet users.

If you're going to speak for the less than 0.0001% of Internet users,
you may wish to qualify your statements accordingly.  I choose to
concentrate on the vast majority of Internet users, and I strongly
believe that they feel empowered by this technology, rather than
feeling powerless.

Furthermore, I believe that the discourse on this list would be much
more productive if we all concentrated on the great majority of users
and potential users, and ask what kinds of structure, behavior and
governance with respect to the Internet would make the Internet a
better vehicle for meeting these users' needs.

Regards,

George