[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Nov 30 11:58:01 EST 2007

George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at attglobal.net> wrote:

> Furthermore, I believe that the discourse on this list would be much
> more productive if we all concentrated on the great majority of users
> and potential users, and ask what kinds of structure, behavior and
> governance with respect to the Internet would make the Internet a
> better vehicle for meeting these users' needs.

Great question.

How about creating an "International Internet Users Parliament"?

That would IMO satisfy Karl's concerns as well as what you're asking
for.

Initially the parliament would have no power besides the moral
authority that comes immediately from democratic legitimacy.

Over time, as new internet governance structures are created or
a need is felt to increase democratic legitimacy for existing ones,
they can be made accountable to the "International Internet Users
Parliament" similar to how national governments are accountable to
national parliaments.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--