[governance] preparing for IGF 2008

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Nov 28 09:18:43 EST 2007

Hi Adam,

Thanks for asking.. Some first suggestions from someone having not
attended IGF 2007:

Le 27 nov. 07 à 11:00, Adam Peake a écrit :

> Are the themes right? Should any be dropped, should any be added?
> Radical reform of the whole agenda will not happen, so incremental
> changes may work. The caucus workshop on the mandate seems to have
> been well received. We need to be realistic about what can be
> changed (in my opinion.)

Unfortunately, there are no transcripts from workshops, but in the
main sessions transcripts, I see from Bill's report on the IGC
workshop (http://www.intgovforum.org/Rio_Meeting/IGF2-
TakingStock-15NOV07.txt) a very useful proposal which seems still
realistic to implement:

"[...] an option that some people thought was interesting was, what
we could do is try to have essentially the dynamic coalitions and the
workshops and so on able to percolate up from the bottom, from the
edges of the network, as the chairman said, the -- some of the ideas,
some of the key points that have come out of their work, bring that
to the larger community for discussion in a plenary setting. [...]
And if we could find a way to leverage what they [wokshop
discussions] have generated and bring it into a wider debate, that
would be helpful. That doesn't necessarily mean adopting the
recommendations.  It means simply addressing the issues on a broader
basis, giving more people a chance to respond to the ideas, and so on.
[...]"

Obviously, it's not that easy to pick up 3-4 of these key points. But
it would be worth give it a try. We can try to set up a first list,
and then have it refined. Or we can ask all workshop organizers to
provide ONE proposal/issue as a result from their workshop, that they
think would fit a plenary session discussion, and this would form the
initial list.

The proposal should be more than simply dropping a keyword, or an
entirely open issue. It should come with a well prepared background,
stating different views already expressed (as this is supposed to be
an outcome from workshops, there have been previous discussions
leading to such background).

Some ideas have already been proposed: the "Internet bill of rights"
is one of them.
I would like to propose another one, which is the result of a
workshop organized by APC and Co. (see CoE & APC press release at:
http://www.apc.org/english/news/index.shtml?x=5310569=): a proposal
for a mechanism to foster participation, access to information and
transparency in internet governance, based on the Aarhus Convention
on Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-making and
Access to Justice in Environmental Matters.
I'm sure there are many others.

On workshops, I support the already expressed idea, by Max and
others, on prioritizing really global IG issues, with a fixed,
manageable, number of parallel workshops (not simply based on the
number of received proposals /  number of available slots). But the
difficulty lies in the definition of what is a global IG issue:) As
some messages already shown, an agreement on this seems hard to obtain.

Another suggestion, not related to content: the transcripts are
really useful, much more than webcast or videos in my opinion.
They're useful for people not attending and also as archives for
everyone. I understand funding is limited, but I would favor putting
the money on the transcripts, including the transcripts of workshop
sessions, and on translation of these transcripts. This is very
important for inclusion. Maybe the translation costs can be shared
among participating countries and international organizations, so
that many languages can be available.

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org