[governance] preparing for IGF 2008

Max Senges maxsenges at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 10:11:06 EST 2007

I also really liked the idea expressed by one participant during a main session:

To install a big a clock on the podium and during debates have esp.
audience contributions limited to 2 minutes (the clock counting down
and then turn of the mic). Possibly the chair can decide to extend
that time but this would stop these people going on and on, and
on.....

best
max

On Nov 28, 2007 3:18 PM, Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> Thanks for asking.. Some first suggestions from someone having not
> attended IGF 2007:
>
> Le 27 nov. 07 à 11:00, Adam Peake a écrit :
>
> > Are the themes right? Should any be dropped, should any be added?
> > Radical reform of the whole agenda will not happen, so incremental
> > changes may work. The caucus workshop on the mandate seems to have
> > been well received. We need to be realistic about what can be
> > changed (in my opinion.)
>
> Unfortunately, there are no transcripts from workshops, but in the
> main sessions transcripts, I see from Bill's report on the IGC
> workshop (http://www.intgovforum.org/Rio_Meeting/IGF2-
> TakingStock-15NOV07.txt) a very useful proposal which seems still
> realistic to implement:
>
> "[...] an option that some people thought was interesting was, what
> we could do is try to have essentially the dynamic coalitions and the
> workshops and so on able to percolate up from the bottom, from the
> edges of the network, as the chairman said, the -- some of the ideas,
> some of the key points that have come out of their work, bring that
> to the larger community for discussion in a plenary setting. [...]
> And if we could find a way to leverage what they [wokshop
> discussions] have generated and bring it into a wider debate, that
> would be helpful. That doesn't necessarily mean adopting the
> recommendations.  It means simply addressing the issues on a broader
> basis, giving more people a chance to respond to the ideas, and so on.
> [...]"
>
> Obviously, it's not that easy to pick up 3-4 of these key points. But
> it would be worth give it a try. We can try to set up a first list,
> and then have it refined. Or we can ask all workshop organizers to
> provide ONE proposal/issue as a result from their workshop, that they
> think would fit a plenary session discussion, and this would form the
> initial list.
>
> The proposal should be more than simply dropping a keyword, or an
> entirely open issue. It should come with a well prepared background,
> stating different views already expressed (as this is supposed to be
> an outcome from workshops, there have been previous discussions
> leading to such background).
>
> Some ideas have already been proposed: the "Internet bill of rights"
> is one of them.
> I would like to propose another one, which is the result of a
> workshop organized by APC and Co. (see CoE & APC press release at:
> http://www.apc.org/english/news/index.shtml?x=5310569=): a proposal
> for a mechanism to foster participation, access to information and
> transparency in internet governance, based on the Aarhus Convention
> on Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-making and
> Access to Justice in Environmental Matters.
> I'm sure there are many others.
>
> On workshops, I support the already expressed idea, by Max and
> [...]

"I am a wanderer and mountain-climber, said he to his heart. I love not the
plains, and it seemeth I cannot long sit still.

And whatever may still overtake me as fate and experience- a wandering will
be therein, and a mountain-climbing: in the end one experienceth only oneself."

                            (Friedrich Nietzsche, Also spoke Zarathustra)

Max Senges
Research Associate
Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3)
Av. Canal Olímpic s/n, Edifici B3
08860 CASTELLDEFELS (Barcelona) SPAIN

PhD Candidate
Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC)