[governance] Re: France To Require Internet Service Providers To Filter Infringing Music

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 02:32:43 EST 2007

Dan

My apologies, no sooner had I sent off the email, I realised it had not come
out quite the way I had intended. Yes, I was referring solely to the greedy
bunch that aspire to the mansion after few years of mediocre music.

And yes, it the record labels (red suits, who often couldn't care less
wether the product is music or titanium) who leech off society through these
revenue conduits. Unfortunately radio and tv are also to blame, playing (or
paid to play) the mediocre fare that feeds the record labels, creating a
vicious circle that ends up centrifuging all other genres out of the market.
Even so-called "public service broadcasting") and I can speak only of South
Africa) does the same thing, playing ad nauseum the same new releases of
so-called 'commercial' music.

I have to buy my music because jazz is not something you can just tune into.
;-)

Rui

On 28/11/2007, Dan Krimm <dan at musicunbound.com> wrote:

> Careful, now, Rui, I am a musician myself, who spent 15 years trying to
> become vocational at it (progressive jazz is not a huge popular market,
> especially in the current broken marketplace), and finally relented to
> become avocational.
>
> I have no sympathy for fame addicts (I never was one), but really, most of
> the really good musicians in the world are not (and most of the fame
> addicts are not musicians, or are not very good musicians).
>
> Please don't lump us all together in the same basket.  I'm a "long tail"
> advocate, someone who would be happy to "work" for a decent middle class
> living if I could make my original music full time, recording and
> performing live, and pay my bills.
>
> This is the very issue that drew me into the ICT policy realm, in the
> first
> place.  It hits very close to home.
>
> That said, I certainly have no sympathy whatsoever for the major record
> labels either, and they are the chief obstructions to creating a working
> marketplace for (recorded) music in the digital age.  They turned the
> music
> business into something that ultimately had almost nothing to do with
> music
> anymore, and for that alone they deserve our disdain.
>
> The answer, IMHO, is indeed along the lines you suggest below: to abandon
> the market-rights model where sales of fixations are controlled, and move
> instead to a model where uses are (anonymously) tracked and a royalty pool
> is collected at bulk access points and allocated according to the
> distribution of use over time.  Replace "copy" rights with *remuneration*
> rights (along the lines of radio licensing), and let the data flow without
> encryption and file timeouts, etc.
>
> Dan
>

> At 8:18 AM +0200 11/28/07, Rui Correia wrote:
> > I believe this is called entrapment?
> >

> >Meryem wrote:
> >
> >To my knowledge, what IP collecting societies has been doing is: mark
> >some bait files, share them on P2P networks, and trace them as well
> >as IP addresses of users who download or upload them in their turn.
> >

> >In Brazil, there are a number of artists going about it in  different way
> >- working for a living! They sell their music for an affordable price,
> >that way people won't feel the need to get pirated copies. It is after
> all
> >greed and wanting to live in a Malibu mansion with a fleet of imported
> >cars at the age of 27 that puts prices beyond the means of most. If
> >artists would work for a living like everybody else and wait to be able
> >afford their mansion after a lifetime of hard work like everybody else,
> >people wouldn't pirate so much.
> >
> >Also, today's youth do not have LP collections like most on this list
> >probably did and do. They live in a acquire-and-dispose culture. So, it
> is
> >a whole paradigm shift. Instead of selling music/ movies, the industry
> [...]

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa