[governance] Re: France To Require Internet Service Providers To Filter Infringing Music

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Wed Nov 28 02:03:13 EST 2007

Careful, now, Rui, I am a musician myself, who spent 15 years trying to
become vocational at it (progressive jazz is not a huge popular market,
especially in the current broken marketplace), and finally relented to
become avocational.

I have no sympathy for fame addicts (I never was one), but really, most of
the really good musicians in the world are not (and most of the fame
addicts are not musicians, or are not very good musicians).

Please don't lump us all together in the same basket.  I'm a "long tail"
advocate, someone who would be happy to "work" for a decent middle class
living if I could make my original music full time, recording and
performing live, and pay my bills.

This is the very issue that drew me into the ICT policy realm, in the first
place.  It hits very close to home.

That said, I certainly have no sympathy whatsoever for the major record
labels either, and they are the chief obstructions to creating a working
marketplace for (recorded) music in the digital age.  They turned the music
business into something that ultimately had almost nothing to do with music
anymore, and for that alone they deserve our disdain.

The answer, IMHO, is indeed along the lines you suggest below: to abandon
the market-rights model where sales of fixations are controlled, and move
instead to a model where uses are (anonymously) tracked and a royalty pool
is collected at bulk access points and allocated according to the
distribution of use over time.  Replace "copy" rights with *remuneration*
rights (along the lines of radio licensing), and let the data flow without
encryption and file timeouts, etc.

Dan

     governance at lists.cpsr.org