[governance] Innovation

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Nov 26 22:56:03 EST 2007

Kieren McCarthy wrote:

> It is impossible for me to reply to this post without taking issue with huge
> chunks of what's in it.
>
> Just as a quick example. These two sentences, stated as facts: "The ALAC's
> failure is obvious. Internet users have shunned it in droves."
>
> This simply isn't true. But what's more problematic is that it has very
> little to do with the issue of voting.

You were a writer, a good one, I've seen you confront bad ideas.

I claim (and firmly believe) that the ALAC is a failure.  Disprove me.
Show how masses of people are running to it and that its processes
actually form a force that can hold ICANN accountable for its actions.
Show how it is a better vehicle for the formation of ideas and a seed
for the formation of consensus than any group of people who might happen
to gather in a non-ALAC, such as this one.

I claim (and firmly believe) that people are shunning the ALAC in
droves.  Disprove me.  Show how, even after years of existence, ICANN
staff support, and hundreds of thousands of dollars of life support
that, the number of people who are actually involved in the ALAC would
fill more than the smallest of small rooms - as compared to the nearly
200,000 people who tried to sign up for ICANN's year 2000 elections.

You claim that the ALAC has "little to do with voting".  If so, then how
does one answer the fact that ICANN created the ALAC explicitly as a
means to end the election of directors?

On the other hand, ICANN holds the ALAC out as a reason why members of
the internet community should be satisfied and not ask for voting.

Thus, to my mind, the conclusion is quite the opposite, that, in fact,
the ALAC has everything to do with voting, or rather, to be more
precise, it has everything to do with non-voting.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org