[governance] Security issue @ IGF / Rio - Check your bank statements

Robert Guerra lists at privaterra.info
Mon Nov 26 12:17:39 EST 2007

Carlos:

On 26-Nov-07, at 12:07 PM, Carlos Afonso wrote:

> Report it here?? In the list?? I guess you should suggest people
> direct their reports to the appropriate people -- yet another issue
> not pertaining to IG which might creep up here.

I was referring to the fact that people who might have had "issues"
should just mention that. no further details, of course should be
mentioned on such a public list.

> I will be glad to redirect any report to the local organizers (who
> obviously cannot do much except to forward them to the local
> subsidiaries of the banks or card operators involved), but I
> personally find very strange, however, that people do not contact
> their banks' branches or card operators directly -- this is the
> proper way to file a complaint.

One or more IGF participants might have used a common ATM, and then
been subject to an "issue" of some kind. Knowing - a. if it happened,
b. to whom. and if there are similarities in the location of a
possible fraud - might help banks and/or relevant financial
institutions with their investigation.

In short - The reasoning behind my initial post was that sharing info
on possible security issues could be helpful to those involved.

regards

Robert

     governance at lists.cpsr.org